Fire District 5 was established in 1954 by a vote of the citizens of the community. It is governed by three elected Fire Commissioners who serve staggered six year terms. Commissioners must live within the boundaries of Fire District 5.
What exactly does a Fire Commissioner do?
Board members of Spokane County Fire District 5 carry a great deal of responsibility.
- The Board manages the affairs of the fire protection district, obtain facilities, equipment and personnel to perform the services provided by the district.
- The Board establishes the level of services provided
- The Board establishes policies under which the district operates.
- The Board insures the district operates within statutory requirements.
- The Board selects the Fire Chief and delegates authority to manage day-to-day operations of the Fire District.
Your Fire Commissioners are:
- Board Chairman: Commissioner Isla Durheim - serving since Sept 2012, her position goes up for election in 2025.
- Commissioner: Larry Edmonds - serving since Jan 2017; his position goes up for election in 2023.
- Commissioner: Bonita Cobb - serving since Jan 2017; her position goes up for election in 2027.